Wednesday, October 27, 2010

Israel- Day 1, part 2



This is at Capernaum- where Peter lived and was called as a disciple. Gotta say, I've always LOVED Peter- he never did anything halfway! It was neat to see what they think was his Mother-in-Law's home- likely where Jesus lived for much of his 3 years of ministry. There was a Byzantine church built right on top- go figure- but you can see two of the rooms pretty well. And that crazy spaceship looking church is run by actual black robed and hooded monks! Really nice guys- We worked on our Hebrew there. I can now say 'Please' (it sounds like vivica-shawn) and 'thank you' (toe-da). Clever, aren't I? That's me and Papaw putting our feet in Peter's living room- how cool is that?


This is my favorite thing so far- actually, anything else will have to go a long way to top it. We took a boat ride out to the middle of the Sea of Galilee and were shown traditional net fishing by a Christian Jew (a Completed Jew as Corrie ten Boom would say). Around the lake you could see where 90% of Jesus' ministry occurred. I had no idea it was all so close together! So many of the things you see here are 'likely spots' or 'probable locations.' This was for real- my Jesus sat in a boat and fished- right where I was sitting. There are no words....
One more post for today-

No comments: